To ensure the safety of our members, visitors, and staff, Lime Hollow Nature Center is taking the following preventative actions until further notice:
* The Lime Hollow Visitor Center will be closed.
* Trails will remain open dawn to dusk. Maps can be found in the kiosk or online at www.limehollow.org. You can download our map app at Avenza Maps.
* All public programs and environmental educational classes are still cancelled until further notice.
* Programs that we are offering are Forest Preschool, Forest Babies, Adventure Day Camp in 2021 and Summer Camp in 2021.
* Lime Hollow will be offering our annual tree sale this year with changes. Get more information under events.
While Visiting Lime Hollow, please consider the following:
* All restrooms and buildings are closed so please plan accordingly.
* Help keep the trails clean by carrying out what you carry in and picking up after your pet.
* Visit in small groups limited to immediate household members.
* Practice social distancing by keeping at least six (6) feet of distance between yourself and others, even when outdoors.
* Avoid Lime Hollow play areas such as Camp Gustafson play area, Eric Kroot Art Trail sculptures and the Forest Home on the Lehigh Valley Trail.
* If you arrive and crowds are forming, choose a different access point, or return another time/day to visit. If parking lots are full, please do not park along roadsides.
* Please stay home if you are sick, or showing or feeling any COVID-19 symptoms, such as fever, coughing, and/or troubled breathing.
* Lastly don’t forget to do your tick check after your hike.
Tick Check Information
Recreating Responsibly at Lime Hollow During the Covid-19 Outbreak
Gutchess Lumber Timber Harvest near Lime Hollow Road
November 11-29, 2020
Gutchess Lumber Timber Harvest-Initial Notice
Effective November 12, 2020 all trails in the property owned by the Town of Cortlandville north of the Lehigh Valley Trail between Gracie Road and Lime Hollow Road will be closed for selective tree felling in order to ensure the safety of all hikers.
The entire Lime Hollow staff truly looks forward to each and every day of camp. Come rain, snow or shine, mosquitoes or deer flies, the excitement we see in the faces and the enthusiasm we hear in the voices of our campers makes us smile.
The children’s eagerness is palpable and their energy is contagious. How we enjoy listening to the stories of their Lime Hollow adventures and discoveries.
It’s also very gratifying to realize that simply by providing a high quality experience in nature to our local kids, we are meeting our founders’ core mission -- which is to develop a connection to the natural world and a caring between people of all ages and backgrounds and nature.
Summer Camps at Lime Hollow (Grades Pre-K - 12)
Our summer nature camps have operated since the early 1990s and have positively impacted countless Cortland area youths. Peter Harrity, Lime Hollow's Senior Naturalist, has helped pioneer a new model of environmental education here at Lime Hollow, based on renowned tracker Jon Young's "Art of Mentoring." Lime Hollow’s summer day camp provides adventure and intellectual exploration for preschool through 12th grade. Our hands-on approach helps connect everyone to nature by making environmental stewardship fun!
Adventure Day Camp (Grades K-8)
Kids exploring nature, socializing, enjoying fresh air, and getting exercise – that's what our Adventure Day Camps are all about. An increasingly popular alternative to traditional day care, killing time at home, and going to "the babysitter" – these popular nature-oriented summer and school-vacation day camps are hitting all-time attendance records.
Forest Preschool is guided by the idea that children are naturally drawn to nature, need nature to thrive, and learn with enthusiasm and a sense of wonder when they spend ample time in natural spaces. The forest and fields offer an ideal setting for children to learn about themselves, each other, and their place in the natural world.
Home School Program
Connect with nature at all levels. Start off basic and add more knowledge each visit. Each day is a new adventure filled with tree identification, hands on experience with the maple syrup process, vernal pond investigations and gathering wild edibles. Celebrate on the last day with a wild edible feast.
Participating in a Lime Hollow environmental education field trip is a fun, natural experience for your students. Over 2,300 elementary students visit Lime Hollow each school year to participate in outdoor educational activities specifically designed to complement and enhance your curriculum.
Since 1993, Lime Hollow has offered our region the path less traveled and captured the hearts of both young and old. Here, culture, education, recreation and appreciation of the environment interweave to create endless opportunities for all to explore, connect with and discover the ceaseless wonder of nature.
The Center encompasses nearly 472 acres of beautiful rolling hills and shallow glacial valleys (kame-and-kettle topography), forests, fields, streams, numerous ponds, including many marl ponds and vernal (seasonal) pools, a peat bog, and a great diversity of flora and fauna. Located on the border between Cortland and Tompkins Counties, in beautiful upstate New York, we offer over 12 miles of open-to-the-public, entrance-fee free trails, public nature programs, and adventure day camps for youth.
Become a Member
Become a member of an organization that truly has a positive impact on the quality of life in upstate New York - and a lasting impact on children and adults - through nature preservation, education and recreation.
The success of Lime Hollow Nature
Center depends upon generous support from individuals like you. Donate online or write a check made out to Lime Hollow and mailed to Lime Hollow Nature Center,
338 McLean Road, Cortland, NY 13045.
Now is the time to commemorate your love of the great outdoors, for years to come. Consider making a heritage gift to Lime Hollow. Whether the gift is modest or major, we will be honored and pleased to discuss the possibilities with you.